Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Circa 2009-2010: Keeping you in mind

We were entering 2010 with pace thanks to all that wedding planning for that July but in all of the craziness, everything came to a standstill when Samurai got a call, out of the blue, from that real estate agent that oversaw our failed sale in Couva.

He said he immediately thought of us regarding a new property in Central Trinidad that he thinks we will be interested in and wanted us to see it. It was a new development comprising twelve one-acre plots and the seller was offering a special price on two of them, I guess as a selling pitch to other potential buyers that there was a demand for the property (if he had two buyers as proof) or because he needed the money to complete more infrastructure on the land. In addition, one condition was that the two plots being offered at a lesser value were non-negotiable with regards to the price. It really didn't matter to me thought as I had already given up basically on finding something so we just agreed to view it not expecting much of a 'wow' effect.

The drive to the property was again a long one bringing up memories of that last purchase that fell though. When we got there, however, Samurai was in love. The interest didn't hit me immediately as it did him though. He went to speak to the agent indicating 'our' interest but as I looked around I just didn't see it. The agent walked over to me, clearly seeing the lack of excitement in my face and asked my what I thought. I told him it was okay and I loved the large plot but the price for me was too much. He then said that he really believes this here is a great investment. He compared it to the other property we viewed together explaining that the location had a lot of potential for a quick increase in property value. He said that even though he couldn't sell me on price, he knows that his years of real estate experience makes him confident in this development even saying that if he had the money, he too would snap up a plot.

Turns out the agent was once again a friend of the seller but the actual sale was being handled by a somewhat reputable real estate firm. The seller, who lived at the beginning of the development, was very popular in the business and social world which convinced me that this property had a lot of potential.

That night Samurai and I sat down looking over the deed and layout of the property and the more we spoke the more I loved it. We decided to take the leap and proceeded with the sale agreement.

2 comments: